Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 18:13:05 +0100
From:      Hanspeter Roth <hanspeter_roth@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE standby timeout (hdparm)

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 06:00:22AM -0500, Robert Sexton wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 10:49:54AM +0100, Hanspeter Roth wrote:
> >
> > is it possible to finetune the standby timeout (spindown) of
> > IDE-disks?
> > -Hanspeter
>
> As far as I know, the answer is still no.  But heres a patch (good
> against -CURRENT and recent -STABLE that adds it.

I used 4.4-RELEASE. I had to add two more parameters to the
ata_command call. I inserted two more zeros.

          if (ata_command(adp->controller, adp->unit, 0xe2,
                      0, 0, 0, ata_suspend/10, 0, ATA_WAIT_INTR))

> To activate the patch, put the following in /boot/loader.conf:
>
> hw.ata.suspend=180 # 180 seconds

For the disk I tested the time is maybe half of the time specified.
Nevertheless, that's ok.

This parameter is applied to all ATA disks. Of course the main topic
here are mobiles which usually only have one.

I would be interested in setting the suspend time for each disk
individually. :-) (For a desktop. But it seems to me there is no
appropriate mailing list which deals with power management in
general.)

-Hanspeter