Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 22:39:31 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Rachel Leising <rleising@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: name resolution problems and "full socket buffers"

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 05:22:00PM -0800, Rachel Leising wrote:

> --
> I can't seem to get name resolution working correctly.
>
> According to sniffer output, the dns query goes out fine and the
> response comes back just fine. However, my machine then replies to
> the dns server with an ICMP "port unreachable message"... regardless
> of the ephemeral port used by my machine as the source port for the
> dns query.

Could you post the actual tcpdump(1) output,

  # tcpdump -vvvn 'udp && port 53'

Just in case you are missing something.

> nestat -s also shows the following udp counters incrementing:
>
> "x dropped due to no socket"

This is what I would expect for what you describe...

> "y dropped due to full socket buffers"

Hmmmm...

Could we double-check the firewall issue,

  $ sysctl net.inet.ip.fw.enable net.inet.ipf.fr_running

And see the full output of,

  $ netstat -s -p udp
  $ netstat -an -p udp
  $ host testhost            # your DNS test here
  $ netstat -s -p udp
  $ netstat -an -p udp
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious."