Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:51:22 -0500
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Sergey Solyanik <solik@netdeeper.sumy.ua>
Cc:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE Prefetch Mode... (was: VIA crashes)

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 08:32:04PM +0200, Sergey Solyanik wrote:
> I think that IDE Prefetch should be turned off on all machines around
>
> the world, scince it's total misunderstanding by hardware vendors.
>
> I never see the correct working IDE Prefetch on any (even on Intel/IBM
> branded) machine. And in all strange data corrupt/spontaneous rebooting
> cases disabling IDE Prefetch was a real trouble killer.
>
> Just search google for "IDE Prefetch" and you'll understand the size of
> a problem. May be this need be in FAQ/Hardware section?

If someone with the proper hardware know-how can write me, say, a
paragraph on what's wrong with IDE Prefetch, I'll get it in the FAQ.

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org
my FreeBSD column: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/q/Big_Scary_Daemons

http://www.blackhelicopters.org/~mwlucas/