Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 17:00:58 GMT
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@bim.bsn.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Which ftpd for proxy ?

Hi all,
Any reccomendations what to install (or avoid) on my firewall,
from 4.4 /usr/ports/ftp/ to be a proxy ftpd server ?

My Background:
- I'm not looking for high performance,
     (it's not a big company, just my home site with some internal hosts).
- I will have the usual security concerns with the imminent arrival
  	of a flat rate permanent DSL connection :-)
- /usr/libexec/ftpd does not (at least did not) support proxy requests.
- I have apache installed on my firewall & am using FTP_PROXY=http://gate
  but often remote ports distfile ftpd hosts refuse to serve me,
  perhaps because my apache is asking remote server on port 80, not ftp port.

I looked at /usr/share/doc/handbook & faq but noticed nothing.
I investigated ports/ftp/*  with grep -i prox etc  ...

  POSSIBLES:
bftpd:		Very configurable FTP server that can do chroot easily
			CHANGELOG: You can have bftpd bind to only
			one interface, for example, if you want to
			run an FTP proxy server on the same port
			on another network interface.
lukemftpd:	Enhanced ftp server from NetBSD
			src/ftpd.cat8: prevents `third-party proxy ftp'
muddleftpd:	A new ftp server that can perform a variety of ftp tasks
			src/proxy.c
oftpd:		A threaded, anonymous only FTP server designed for security
			grep shows no prox
proftpd:	Highly configurable ftp daemon
			grep shows no prox
pure-ftpd:	A small, easy to set up, fast and very secure FTP server				my distfile corrup, so not grepped.
vsftpd:		A FTP daemon that aims to be "very secure"
			grep shows no prox
wu-ftpd:	A replacement ftp server for Un*x systems
			The zero-length .notar file can confuse
			some web clients and FTP proxies

  TO AVOID:
	ncftpd:		commercial
	yale-tftpd:	tftp

I'd appreciate comment please. IE which should I use ?  Thanks.

Julian
J.Stacey	Munich Unix (FreeBSD, Linux etc) Independent Consultant
 Free Software with Free Sources:	http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/free/
 Ihr Rauchen = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Schnupftabak probieren !