Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 06:36:27 -0700
From:      Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/ppp arp.c atm.c mp.c route.c server.c tcp.c udp.c

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 03:20:59PM +0200, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 05:15:47AM -0800, Brian Somers wrote:
> > brian       2002/01/16 05:15:47 PST
> >
> >   Modified files:
> >     usr.sbin/ppp         arp.c atm.c mp.c route.c server.c tcp.c
> >                          udp.c
> >   Log:
> >   socket's first argument is an address family, not a protocol family.
> >
> >   Revision  Changes    Path
> >   1.43      +2 -2      src/usr.sbin/ppp/arp.c
> >   1.5       +2 -2      src/usr.sbin/ppp/atm.c
> >   1.48      +2 -2      src/usr.sbin/ppp/mp.c
> >   1.84      +2 -2      src/usr.sbin/ppp/route.c
> >   1.39      +4 -4      src/usr.sbin/ppp/server.c
> >   1.14      +2 -2      src/usr.sbin/ppp/tcp.c
> >   1.14      +2 -2      src/usr.sbin/ppp/udp.c
> >
> Err, from the socket(2) manpage:
>
> : The domain parameter specifies a communications domain within which com-
> : munication will take place; this selects the protocol family which should
> : be used.  These families are defined in the include file <sys/socket.h>.
> : The currently understood formats are:
> :
> :       PF_LOCAL        Host-internal protocols, formerly called PF_UNIX,
> :       PF_UNIX         Host-internal protocols, depreciated, use PF_LOCAL,
> :       PF_INET         Internet version 4 protocols,
>
> sockaddr.sa_family OTOH should use AF_* constants.

Has FreeBSD taken a stand on this?  I've always thought that the difference
between AF_ and PF_ had been lost in the mist many many years ago.

Here is an interesting email between Richard Stevens, Sam Leffler and
Dan Lanciani:

http://www.kohala.com/start/lanciani.96apr10.txt

--
Chad David        davidc@acns.ab.ca