Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:11:59 -0800
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        jegjr@erols.com, freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't send mail from BALSA

On 2002.01.16 18:01 Joe Clarke wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 20:24, jegjr@erols.com wrote:
> >
> > Greetings:
> >
> > 	I installed BALSA 1.3.0 via the ports. I can receive mail
> from my ISP but I cannot send it.   The error message I get is "SMTP
> Server Error: (NULL).  Not very helpful.  I trying to figure out what
> is wrong.  Could someone give me some pointers.  I am using gmail with
> the same settings, so as far as I can tell the configuration is not an
> issue.
>
> Make sure you've linked balsa against the most recent version of
> libesmtp, and make sure you have an outgoing mail server configured in
> Settings->Preferences->Outgoing Mail->Remote SMTP Server.
>
> The server should be of the format
>
> hostname:25
>
> It works fine for me.
>
> Joe
>

> > Thanks John

Note:  If your sendmail, postfix, or whatever is configured properly,
using localhost:25 will also usually work.  If you're not using
sendmail, postfix, or something else to transfer the mail to your ISP,
then enter the ISP's name for the smtp/esmtp server.  For example, on
my system:

smtp.bmi.net:25

Also note:  some systems are configured to use port 587.  If this is
the case, replace 25 with 587.
--
          _
   | |V| / '                       ||  MacroHard --                   \
\_| | | \_,                       ||     the perfection of form over |