Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:08:17 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Your Makefile has been rebuilt.

On 18 Jan 2002 at 6:50, Kent Stewart wrote:

> Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > On 17 Jan 2002 at 19:13, Kent Stewart wrote:
> >
> >>I think that anyone who has been following stable since that time
> >>thinks about the system clock first on strange errors and then looks at
> >>other possibilities.
> >
> > But it's lore.  I plan to add something, somewhere, to the handbook.
> > What I think is needed is a short section of items to consider when
> > things go bad.  Items such as checking the system clock, doing another
> > cvsup if your port doesn't build, etc.
>
> This will cover about 70% of the solutions. The rest depends on some
> sort of pattern recognition. This goes back to why did I see the MAC
> address on the SiS-900 was 0:0... and you didn't.
>
> If you are going to use cvsup, then you should be following cvs-all.

Ummm, no...  Why should someone using cvsup need to follow cvs-all?  In
the context of my question, I was referring to cvsup and ports.  We can't
expect every user of the ports tree to follow cvs-all let alone follow
freebsd-ports.

> Mindlessly running cvsup on a system doesn't accomplish anything when
> nothing has changed. I have a log of all of my recent system builds. I use
> Ben Smithhurst's cvsuplog to convert every cvsup.log into HTML. Clicking on
> the changed module takes you to the appropriate location in the cvsweb/cgi.
> You pretty well know who dropped the bit that broke your build. I also have
> a cvsup log of every cvsup of ports-all that I have done recently.

I specifically mentioned ports because I see this happen frequently: user
tries to built a port.  It fails because things have changed, perhaps the
distfile is no longer available or the master sites have changed.  A fresh
cvsup fixes this because the last cvsup was 4 months ago....

> If they are going to re-cvsup, then they should know that doing it
> anymore frequent than an hour after the original cvsup could be
> pointless because the mirrors are only updated hourly.

A good point, but something which is mostly lore.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples