Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 02:57:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Adam VanNuck <vann5176@yahoo.com>
To:        topcat@sk.sympatico.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: determining PPP connection speed?

You may have figured this problem out by now, but for
the others out there like myself who had the same
question because of the same problem (poor rural
telephone lines), I thought I'd respond with the
solution I found.

First, I added the option "set log +connect" in the
ppp.conf  This entry made ppp log all lines of the
modem "conversation" to /var/log/ppp.log  In my case
I'm running FreeBSD 4.4, so this could be a newer
option (I don't have enough experience with 3.x to
say).

After enabling this, each time you connect there will
be a line like:

Jan 19 05:12:54 gateway ppp[236]: tun0: Chat:

amongst a bunch of other stuff of course.  In order to
find the info I wanted each time a little easier, I
just use:

grep "Received: CONNECT"  /var/log/ppp.log

which pulls out every line of the log with that
string.  Of course, for every new time that you
connect, the last line of the results from grep is the
latest connect speed.

Hopefully that works for you.  If you actually use
this info I would appreciate it if you write me back
and tell me it helped.  This is the first time I've
ever responded to a question.  Thanks.

-Adam VanNuck