Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:01:21 -0600
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@TheWorld.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mozilla plugins; Windows Media, QuickTime, Java2

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:47:05PM +0100, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> On Monday 21 January 2002 16:30, Doug Poland wrote:

> > > The FM in this case is the freebsd-java mailing list archives.
> > >
> > > If Java/Mozilla is working, you can expect to find someone dancing for
> > > joy, angelic trumpets, and 1000 elephants parading down the list.
> >
> > You can do java2 applets with linux mozilla binary and linux-jdk-1.3.1
> > port.  Other plugins I've got working are shockwave, futuresplash, and
> > realplayer.
>
> How do you get java running? Do I need to fiddle with
> "Edit"->"Preference"->"Navigator"->"Helper Applications"? And what would I
> need to insert?

I posted a summary this morning under the title: Java plugin for mozilla?
If it's not in the archives yet, here's a copy...

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:06:21 -0600
From: Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To: Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>
Subject: Re: Java plugin for mozilla?

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 01:20:14PM -0800, Steve Wingate wrote:
> > > * Users of installer builds on Win32 and x86 Linux can install the Java
> > > Run Time Environment (JRE) v1.3 Plug-in to add Java support to Mozilla. On
> > > Macintosh, Mozilla uses the JRE already installed on your system.
> > >
> > > I am using the Linux-mozilla binary on FreeBSD w/Java, RealPlayer,
> > > Shockwave and Flash support.
> > >
> > Steve,
> >
> > Could you describe the steps you took to get java working?
> >
> Nothing to it; I just installed the Linux-mozilla binary build and
> JRE plug-in from the mozilla website. No additional configuration
> that I recall.

For the benefit of the archives, the JRE plugin would not install on
my 4.4-STABLE box so this is what I had to do...

Install the following ports:

	linux-jdk-1.3.1
	linux-gtk-1.2_1

Go to mozilla's web site and get the latest linux binary installer.
Extract the tarball and install linux mozilla.

su and cd to /usr/local/mozilla/plugins (default location)
symlink the jdk to the plugins directory
	 ln -s /usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.1/ java2

symlink the plugin to the currect directory
	 ln -s /usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

Voila! java in mozilla.

Two observations,
	1) it feels like linux mozilla is faster than native
	FreeBSD mozilla although I haven't timed it and cannot explain why.

	2) Fonts are messed up in one of my favorite applets
	(http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/SSapplications/Post/JavaSSOP/JavaSSOP.html)

--
Regards,
Doug