Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:52:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        freebsd@XtremeDev.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, kris@obsecurity.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD extended paging

[ Please do not top post. ]

FreeBSD user wrote:

> Does this mean FreeBSD doesn't take advantage of x86 extended paging
> capabilities?
>
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:27:31PM -0500, Jason Borkowsky wrote:
> > >
> > > Can somebody tell me how to disable extended memory pages (or how to
> > > define
> > > them to something like 4K in size)? I ask because there has been an
Athlon
> > > bug discovered that is affected by using extended memory page sizes, and
> > > need to determine if this is what is causing my FreeBSD box instability.
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > It doesn't affect FreeBSD.
> >
> > Kris

Read there more about it - and why Linux is possible failing.

http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=de&threadm=20020121100217.81572.qmail%40web14002.mail.yahoo.com.lucky.freebsd.current&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Dde%26group%3Dlucky.freebsd.stable

Not being striked by a bug does not mean that you are not using this feature -
perhaps you are using it in a different way.

IF there was a bug - be sure it would be worked out before the upcoming release
of FreeBSD 4.5.

Hope that helps

Marc