Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:40:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>, <tmm@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: double fault with vinum and 4.5 RC3

Greg,

> As I've mentioned elsewhere, this is seriously suboptimal.  The
> "mirror" command is a toy for people getting used to Vinum.  You want
> a proper config file.  Then create one drive per spindle, and choose
> your subdisk sizes to match what you want.  Specifically, your config
> file should look like this:
>
>   drive 0 device /dev/da0e
>   drive 1 device /dev/da1e
>   volume var setupstate
>    plex org concat
>      sd drive 0 len 2096000s
>    plex org concat
>      sd drive 1 len 2096000s
>   volume docsis setupstate
>    plex org concat
>     sd drive 0 len 1257000s
>    plex org concat
>     sd drive 1 len 1257000s
>   volume docsisvar setupstate
>    plex org concat
>     sd drive 0 len 4651000s
>    plex org concat
>     sd drive 1 len 4651000s

Is this really mirrored ? I want a mirror, not a concatenated drive !
I want RAID 1.

And - this isn't very optimal for a user to create.

I do not want to calculate the sd offset size. I'm not a
beginner with vinum, but I really do not want to do this.

IMHO there should be a way for vinum to add this dynamically
like:

vinum sd-add -d 0 -n var -l 1GB
vinum sd-add -d 0 -n docsis -l 6GB
vinum sd-add -d 0 -n docsisvar -l end

A program under unix does not have to be very cryptic,
it also has to be userfriendly.

Martin