Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:57:32 -0600
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall config non-intuitiveness

On Sunday 27 January 2002 11:27 am, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Right now what I have works.  You are changing the semantics of a
> security related feature of the system in such a way that after this
> change what I have will not work.  I agree that your work around will
> allow me to easily correct things.  However, if I fail to do so, I
> open my firewall up completely.  To me, that's an unacceptible change
> in the API.

You yourself said that you're doing things that "don't fit in well with the
current firewall paradigm."  So they're hacks, and you shouldn't expect them
to work indefinitely.  For every person like you, there are probably ten like
me, who in a state of ignorant bliss rebooted a machine they were remotely
admining with firewall_enable set to NO.  Imagine the surprise when I was
completely locked out.  As others have pointed out this behavior is
documented, but we must remember that a variable name itself is the most
important and immediate documentation.  And having a firewall load when
firewall_enable is NO is complete nonsense.

This change would affect security only for the people who are knowledgeable
enough to understand this weird variable in the first place.  This effect
would be minimal.  A default desktop install of FreeBSD will enable Sendmail
and inetd and have no firewall, and you're worried about this security effect?

-David
Center for Cosmological Physics
The University of Chicago