Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2002 16:12:56 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Troy <tdrake@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Symbolic link problem

On 2002-02-02 23:20, Troy wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I've been trying to create a symbolic link from one user directory to
> another, but get errors when trying to get that file via ftp. What I'm
> trying to do is create a symlink for a ISO file from  /home/user1  to
> /home/user2, and doing  "ln -s /home/user1/file.iso
> /home/user2/file.iso"  When I do a ls -la, it shows it as a symlink, and
> it points to the correct file, but when I ftp to my server and try and
> retrieve it, it gives me a error 550, not found. Anyone know what I'm
> doing wrong? Thanks!

Are the users chroot'ed when they ftp to your system?
The stock ftpd will follow symlinks to files, if the origin of the
links has not been 'hidden' by chrooting intoo the user's home.

--
Giorgos Keramidas . . . . . . . . . keramida@{ceid.upatras.gr,freebsd.org}
FreeBSD Documentation Project . . . http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/