Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 19:08:49 +0100
From:      Markus Stumpf <maex-freebsd-hackers@Space.Net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump(8) race conditions?

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 11:54:02AM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> Dump should ideally be run on an unmounted filesystem.  The next best
> is to create a snapshot ( /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/README.snapshot ) and
> dump that.

True.
But on systems that host e.g. mailservers or webservers its unacceptable
to disrupt services tp umount and backup the system :/

$ uname -a
FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE
$ more /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/README.snapshot
/usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/README.snapshot: No such file or directory
:-)))

Located it in stable, but the READNE says:
    2) Run dump on the snapshot. You will get a dump that is
       consistent with the filesystem as of the timestamp of the
       snapshot. Note that I have not yet changed dump to set the
       dumpdates file correctly, so do not use this feature in
       production until that fix is made.
:-((

Anyway, I have no problem with the errors per se, just wanted
to know if they could result from the race conditions or if I have
to better change the disks.

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299