Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:46:58 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        vanya <UnixDaemon@vicard.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DMA on ATAPI CD's [ Was Re: About printers ]

On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 05:09:35PM +0300, vanya wrote:

<snip> (Best to keep unrelated questions in seperate posts).

> And one question about DMA for EIDE disks and ATAPI CD. Is DMA automatically
> enabled or user must turn on this option?

I believe DMA is not enabled on ATAPI CD devices, I believe it is
considered a source of possible instability in certain cases (I know
of no proof for this..) .. you can forceably re-enable it by an entry
in sysctl.conf. I have 2 IDE i/faces, with a hard drive and a CD/DVD
on one slave and a CD R/W on another. My line looks as follows:

hw.atamodes=dma,dma,dma,dma

You will need to adjust this according to your actual IDE setup,
(i.e. how your ide's are actually configured)...

"man 8 sysctl.conf" may help.

--
Regards
Cliff