Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:13:18 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, portmgr@freeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New alpha and i386 packages uploaded

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 02:19:01PM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 05:56:30AM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > I've uploaded a new set of alpha and i386 packages to ftp-master.
> >=20
> > For some reason the 4.5-R package set was never uploaded to
> > ftp-master; the 4.5-release directory had packages from April 2001.
>=20
> WTF!?
> BTW, I think new packages are only uploaded when there is a
> change to it... right?  Some packages haven't changed in awhile.

No, this isn't true.  Every package changes when it's rebuilt because
it contains timestamps.  It's possible, though somewhat tricky, to try
and detect whether the files themselves have changed (but it's made
difficult because many files themselves contain embedded timestamps,
e.g. all lib*.a files), but we don't do that.  I wrote some code back
in December which attempts to check whether the packages are
different, but it's pretty slow and doesn't deal with lib*.a files
yet.  Still, it would probably be worthwhile using.

> > The {q3,hl,ut}server packages total 1.2GB.  Do we really need them
> > all?
>=20
> I would say no.  I would set NO_PACKAGE for all but the basic
> server packages.

I agree.

Kris

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft