Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:31:39 +0100
From:      Alex Kiesel <freebsd@document-root.de>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
Cc:        Alex Kiesel <freebsd@document-root.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IpSec behind NAT

On Feb 25, 2002, Nick Rogness wrote:
> 	The simple solution is to NOT NAT ipsec packets.  You don't need
> 	to and really don't want to.  Are you using gif tunnels or not?a

No, I'm not using gif tunnels. Should I?

> 	Add the firewalling for these hosts "around" the divert rule so
> 	IPSec packets don't hit the natd divert rule. [If you are using
> 	ipfw].

On the way to the other subnet this is clear, because here my SPD does
choose the right destination.

When the answer to my request hits my firewall, it does not know where
to forward it to. So it never arrives. I think I have to do some kind of
NAT for this. The problem is, I don't have any idea which way the ESP
and AH packets go inside the firewall. I guess the kernel decrypts the
packet and injects it into the "firewalling code".

Do you have a more detailled plan?

Thanks,
Alex

--
Alex Kiesel                                     PGP Key: 0x09F4FA11