Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:06:15 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
Cc:        Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@sicfa.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Email -> SMS Gateway on FreeBSD

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 02:00:57AM +0100, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
> Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> >>[...]
> >>>
> >>Hi Brad,
> >>
> >>Good news - it is possible and shouldn't be very hard to do either. You've
> >>got these main options ...
> >>
> >>1. Use a 3rd party service provider, they'll have software or an email
> >>gateway you can use. We use RedRock Communications at work.
> >>
> >>2. Write your own gateway.
> >>

> >3. use the email address provided by your phone operator (eg:
> >number@operator), and redirect the mail to it. Often it's only a mail
> >notify service, so only subject is sent to the phone. I've a perl script
> >which put all the content of a mail in a subject then send it. If
> >someone is interested, mail me privately.
> >
> >Btw, someone talked about software available for that in the ports.
> >Which ports exactly ?
> >
> >lucas
>

> /usr/ports/misc/smssend can use webbased services such as
> mtnsms.com and many others.
> It features some kind of script language that allows you to
> make scripts that enables it to use any webbased sms
> service, and comes preloaded with scripts for a lot of services.
> I havent used it more then in a few tests, but it seems to work.

Except it has a very badly written email2smssend Perl wrapper
that can't handle double quotes.  I use the following .procmailrc
block to deliver to my mobile:

: # SMS
: SENDSMS="email2smssend -i -ms 120 -mm 8 -- umc"
: MYPHONE=xxxxxxx
: :0 c
: * ^TOru@
: * !^FROM_MAILER
: | grep -v "^ *[\>:]" | sed 's/"/\\"/g' | ${SENDSMS} ${MYPHONE}

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,