Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:00:50 -0800
From:      Byron Servies <bservies@pacang.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Retrieving a list of ACLs for a file

On March 01, 2002 at 16:52, Robert Watson wrote:

> Unfortunately, the POSIX.1e API doesn't define a way to get a list of
> valid ACL types for a particular filesystem object (or even a filesystem).
> For the time being, it's probably sufficient to assume that there will
> only be ACL_TYPE_ACCESS and ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT ACLs present on filesystems.
> Other ACL constants have been tentatively assigned, but are not used.

Hi,

I was looking around some more last week and noticed that the posix acl
support is built upon a more generic extattr facility.  Instead of backing
up the posix acl's directly, should I instead be using this facility
to backup any possible additional attributes on a file?

Since this is a freebsd api, I could add the function necessary to
collect a complete list, if one does not exist yet.

Preferences?

Thanks for the advice,

Byron