Date:      Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:31:47 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Mike Murphree <w4lna@knology.net>
Cc:        Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.2

> From: Mike Murphree <w4lna@knology.net>
> Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 06:32:34 -0600
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Tuesday 05 March 2002 04:03 am, Herve Quiroz wrote:
> > I have not been member of this list until recently so I have probably
> > missed some discussion on the topic. Anyway, what is going on with Xfree86
> > v4.2 ? I once had seen XFree86 4.2 on freshports.org but then it came back
> > to 4.1 few days later...
> >
> > NetBSD has already 4.2 in -stable so why not FreeBSD ?
> >

> The port was at 4.2.0 shortly before the release of FreeBSD 4.5 and
> it was rolled back to 4.1.9 because of insufficient testing time before the
> release.  It has never been put back...
>
> I've been running 4.2.0 since that time with zero problems.

This is not why the 4.2 port was pulled. The main reason was that
XF86-4.2 was added to the ports just prior to the release of FreeBSD
4.5. It was felt that it was unwise to include a new release of
XFree86 that was largely untested in a new release of FreeBSD, so the
port was pulled.

At the same time it was decided that it was a good time to convert
XFree86 from a port to a meta-port. This has been under discussion for
some time and the 4.2 release looked like a good time to cut over. So
the 4.2 port appeared and disappeared from the tree, but is still
available and works fine.

(If you don't know what a meta-port is, look at /usr/ports/x11/gnome/Makefile.)

I have not been keeping up on things, but I would certainly hope the
meta-port and all of the ports of the pieces (clients, libs, servers,
etc.) will show up shortly. If you have information on the state of
this, I'd love to hear about it.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)