Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:17:38 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Bara Zani <bara_zani@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Script to hangup ppp?

On 2002-03-14 07:54, Bara Zani wrote:
> Radhika Sambamurti <radhika_narendran@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > kill -HUP `cat /var/run/tun0.pid`
> >
> > this should do it for you.
>
> Why not just use killall ppp ?

This will generally work like a charm.  That's what I usually do at home,
where I have only one PPP link, to my dialup ISP.

The only case where the files /var/run/tun?.pid will prove a better thing
is IMHO when one runs more than one instances of /usr/bin/ppp.  In that
case `killall ppp' will bring down all the PPP links, which might not be a
good idea :-)

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/