Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:44:47 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Happy <kuishin@singnet.com.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What can be done in Command Line Interface?

One line per paragraph

On Saturday, 23 March 2002 at  9:54:24 +0800, Happy wrote:
> Hi,
>     I am a new user of freebsd 4.0. I have installed the OS but can
>     only use the command line interface because of graphics card
>     incompatibility. But I decided to learn using the command line
>     interface anyway.  Can the things which can be done in GUI be
>     done in command line ?

There are two distinctions here:

1.  Graphics display (X) vs. pure text display.
2.  GUI interfaces and command line interfaces.

You can have a command line interface with either X or the terminal
emulators.  You can only have a meaningful GUI interface under X.

>     e.g, can we email,surf the net,install new software,browse our
>     hard-disk in command line?

Yes.  I do it all the time, though I wouldn't call looking at files
"browsing the hard disk".  You can browse the contents of a small
system, but it becomes completely inappropriate on a system with
several million files.  There are other tools for that.

>     Also,what are the editors and programming software which we can
>     open and use in command line interface ?

I don't know many real GUI editors.  Despite what others say, I would
strongly recommend using Emacs.  I have done this in the past with
visitors with no UNIX experience at all who wanted to access their
(remote) mail and send mail messages.  None had any trouble, though I
did need to show them a couple of things.  I can't use pico myself,
and it doesn't have a menu interface.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.