Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 13:08:00 -0500
From:      Orville <technews@giallarhorn.org>
To:        "Dillion Klein" <dillionklein@hotpop.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NTFS w/ FreeBSD dual boot

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 22:48:56 -0500
"Dillion Klein" <dillionklein@hotpop.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I am wondering what the best procedure is to dual boot FreeBSD 4.4R
> and Windows 2000.
>
> If I were to do the following:
>
> -Starting with an empty 40GB drive, install Win2K first (must be NTFS)
> on a primary partition (4GB C:).
>
> -Create an extended partition of 5GB for my NTFS data, which would
> have one logical drive D: of the 5GB's
>
> -Install FreeBSD and setup 6GB's for it. How can I be sure that I
> do not overwrite any data on the NTFS partitions?
>
> Any other tips?
>
> Thanks for the help!

 i have the same setup as you are proposing however  have a fat32
partition for data.  For some reason (not sure where i read/heard it) i
think the ntfs driver is not recommended for r/w.

Anyway to make sure you don't overwrite the ntfs partitions on the
install should not be a problem since the fbsd fdisk will
identify/display all the partitions on the drive. When you install fbsd
just allocate the 6 gigs from the unused space.

during the fbsd install, sysinstall will prompt you as to whether you
want to overwrite the mbr, i would choose yes and have bsd bootlloader
take over.

You will need to mount the ntfs partitions yourself or add them to
/etc/fstab manually since sysinstall  won't. So it would be beneficial
to write down the mount points for the ntfs partitions when you
encounter them in the "Disk Partitions" phase of sysinstall.

btw: what are you planning to do with the other 25gigs.
I am not sure how nt will identify the bsd partitions from Disk
Administrator so be carefull to not delete in when doing disk admin
stuff from the nt side