Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:21:21 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        "Necol NV, Sint Maarten" <necol@sintmaarten.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Beginner's question

> From: "Necol NV, Sint Maarten" <necol@sintmaarten.net>
> To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Beginner's question
> Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 08:53:50 -0400
>
> Hello,
> Will this OS run programs designed to run on windows 98?  I am
> interested in Adobe photo, Quickbooks pro, Turbocad that kind of
> stuff.
> Please send the answer in English and not too much computer speak.
> <smile>
> thanks.
> Lyn

    Short answer: no.

    Long answer: there are programs that make it possible to run an
    operating system in another operating system (vmware comes to mind)
    (so you can run Word in Windows in vmware in FreeBSD), and there are
    programs that emulate Windows, so that you can run Windows
    applications in Un*x operating systems like FreeBSD, Solaris, Linux.
    One such emulator is called Wine.

    Now, I haven't used either, but two guys in this office use Win2000
    in vmware in Slackware 8.0, and Win98 in vmware in RedHat 6.2
    (Slackware and RedHat are Linux distributions) quite successfully. I
    don't know anything about installing/running vmware in FreeBSD.

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
2:12PM up 2 days, 21:57, 14 users, load averages: 0.08, 0.05, 0.00