Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:36:11 +0000
From:      "J. Mallett" <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        green@FreeBSD.ORG, sw@anthologeek.net, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/lang Makefile ports/lang/icc Makefile distinfo pkg-comment pkg-descr pkg-plist ports/lang/icc/files patch-include

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 11:55:20AM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> But the Linux kernel isn't icc compilable too, so it's not that much of
> a drawback...

Read the article Intel did about porting Mach (and then Linux) to IA64 using
icc initially on pre-silicon.  They outline a lot of the things they had to
do to make Linux build with icc, I seem to recall.  In general it's the same
stuff we all know anyway, but the point is they were able to do it, and I
*THINK* they may have even included manhour figures, which could be useful if
someone were to look into doing something similar for FreeBSD.

Google or the Intel IA64 site should point you in the right direction.

	/j.