Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 08:56:24 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

Quoted lines artificially shortened.

On Tuesday,  2 April 2002 at 21:55:32 +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Greg writes:
>
>> Ah, this wouldn't have anything to do with
>> Microsoft, would it?  Who killed Netscape?
>
> No.  Frankly, Netscape Navigator was garbage from the beginning, but
> it had no competition for those critical first months of widespread
> discovery of the Web.  The first versions of Microsoft Internet
> Explorer were even worse, and nobody really bothered with versions 1
> and 2 of MSIE.  Version 3, however, was the equal of Netscape for
> the most part; and versions 4 and beyond blew Netscape away, for
> quality, reliability, and standards conformance.  And that's what
> killed Netscape.  If they had spent more time

But not money?

> fixing and improving their browser and less time trying to claim
> that Someone Else was killing them off by daring to provide serious
> competition, they might still be viable today.

So you're saying that Microsoft didn't try to kill Netscape?  That the
accusations and evidence brought at the DoD trial were fabricated?
Where's *your* evidence?

>> I'll agree with you that Netscape is not a good browser.
>
> I do indeed agree,

With yourself?  What a surprise.

>> But then, I've never seen a good browser, let alone an excellent
>> one.
>
> Both MSIE 5.x and beyond and Opera 5.x and beyond do a very good job
> indeed, based on the tests I put them through on the W3C's test
> pages.

I have to use Microsoft at work.  It's crap.  I've never seen a good
browser, let alone an excellent one.

>> The only way I could find any Microsoft product good, let alone
>> excellent, would be to lower my standards.
>
> Or you could try dropping your bias.

What is the difference in your opinion?

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.