Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:40:50 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/perl5 MAINTAIN README.posix-bc Todo-5.005 XSlock.h bytecode.h byterun.c byterun.h ebcdic.c interp.sym myconfig objpp.h perl_exp.SH thread.sym src/contrib/perl5/eg/cgi dna.small.gif.uu wilogo.gif.uu src/contrib/perl5/ext/B byteperl.c ...

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 03:18:21PM +0100, Mark Murray wrote:

> > > What is wrong with installing the CGI.pm port (which is usually more
> > > up-to-date that the one bundled with perl)?
> >
> > POLA.
>
> That is not a particularly strong argument. Its not like it is opening
> up an unexpected root hole or anything. A first attempt may fail, then
> the programmer installs the port (once) and it works. That kind of thing
> happens the whole time when using complex systems.

Another argument that I expressed earlier is that the current situation does
not seem to comply with the Artistic license under which we are shipping Perl
(at least I don't see the LGPL in the repo so I assume we've chosen the more
friendly Artistic license).

Another would be that I don't see any reason for removing the files, and
thereby shipping with an incomplete Perl suite, at all.

It probably doesn't make life any easier for the people at bugs.perl.org who
may have to make special provision for everyone running FreeBSD since they
don't have all the standard modules installed.

And surely the whole point of the people who do hack on perl making a Perl
distribution with standard modules bundled in is to make the general Perl
environment more usable from scratch.

Also, there's the possibility that if I do install the CGI.pm port, and later
decide that I would like to install the perl port to get the latest version of
perl, I'll suddenly see my CGI.pm being downgraded as the version with the perl
port will be older than the one from the CGI.pm port which I never wanted to
go to the trouble of installing anyway.

And to make me really look like a psycho: if removing files that FreeBSD does
not need in the base system is so important that we're willing to put admins to
extra trouble just to use a *standard* tool, then I cannot see any reason
whatsoever for the continued existence of src/games, and would further suggest
that time would be better spent removing the perl requirement altogether from
the base system so that perl can be removed.

Now that I've ranted I'll try not to respond to this thread again unless I'm
either saying sorry or have run round the block ten times before hitting send.
I promise.

Ceri

--
get the cool shoe shine