Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:45:45 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        "Luis Fernando N. Fernandez" <islu@cesup.ufrgs.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DES encription system.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 11:33:50AM -0300, Luis Fernando N. Fernandez wrote:
> Hi,
> Tomorrow I installed freebsd 4.5.
> The host must be integraded in a network that uses nis.
> However, the password encription system is DES.
> How can I activate this encription in freebsd?

You should get DES by default, IIRC.

However, to make sure, once the system is installed, look in /etc/login.conf
for the lines :

	default:\
	        :passwd_format=des:\

and make sure that passwd_format is set to des.
If you make any changes, run :

	cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf

for them to take effect.

Also have a look in /etc/auth.conf for the line :

	crypt_default   =       des blf md5

and ensure that des is at the front.

Ceri

--