Date:      13 May 2002 17:05:01 -0000
From:      David =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sieb=F6rger?= <drs@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What hardware do you use ?

Gregory Sutter wrote:
> On 2002-05-11 10:49 +0800, Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 May 2002, Doug White wrote:
>>
>> > usually have onboard everything, including dual fxp's nowadays.  But they
>> > have the ServerWorks curse.
>> > . Tyan makes some interesting stuff, but as with all ServerWorks based
>> > stuff, stay far, far away from the base ATA33 controller. Even the cheap
>>
>> what serverworks curse ? i may not have been aware of an issue here. could
>> someone please let me know about this ?
>
> The Serverworks chipsets max out at ATA/33.  Not very fast.

That's hardly the worst of it.  The ServerWorks OSB4 ATA controller
has been known to cause data corruption with Seagate drives.

I've just had a very frustrating experience with this problem on an
Intel STL2-based 4.6-PRERELEASE system which experienced segfaults
and file system corruption.  We tested the memory, checked the PSU,
heat in the system, replaced the IDE cable, replaced the drive
(unfortunately with another Seagate!) before I heard about this
issue.  My testing showed that the problem only occurred while
writing to disk using UltraDMA.

This post on the Linux kernel list gives further details:

  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=100188302723186&w=2

--
David Siebörger
drs@rucus.ru.ac.za