Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 23:17:23 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Handbook - 4.6 Installation update

I've gathered together the images (.scr) for updating the Handbook Installation
section for 4.6-RELEASE as well as a few other minor message modifications.  I'll
be committing these shortly.

The one area that will still need updating in section 2 (installation) is
configuring X during sysinstall.  There are 3 methods:

	xf86cfg			Fully graphical XFree86 configuration tool.
	xf86cfg-textmode	ncurses-based XFree86 configuration tool.
	xf86config		Shell-script based XFree86 configuration tool.

I'm still testing each of these methods and (to me) it seems that the xf86config
would be the easiest for new users.  I have gotten this to work fine after
installation, but it produces a configuration failure error during sysintall.
I'll be looking at this again either later tonight or tomorrow.

Has anyone else been doing fresh installs and testing the various configuration
methods for XFree86?  If so, which ones have you had success with and would
recommend for new users to use during sysinstall?

Randy

btw, my old email address (rpratt@ezwv.com) is defunct.  Use rpratt1950@earthlink.net or rpratt@FreeBSD.org