Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 14:29:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charlie Root <root@pcp01840552pcs.owngsm01.md.comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Stewart" <kstewart@urx.com>
To: "Charlie Root" <root@icomcast.net>
Cc: <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2002 9:29 AM

> Charlie Root wrote:
>
> > i,
> >
> > I recently had a problem with my time keeping on a cvsup -stable
> build. My kernel clock would race. Within 15 minutes from setting
> localtime with date(1), my localtime would be more than .5 hrs ahead
> of where it should be.
> >
> >     When I built my kernel, I didnt use the default value "options
> HZ=100". I actually used "options    HZ=10".
> >
> >     Is this the cause of my racing clock?
> >
> >     Looking through the kernel cfg now, I may have misunderstood,
> and thought "a smaller granularity" meant I had to lower the value of
> the default HZ :)
> >
> >     Any thoughts?
>
> For starters, if you change a default and the system doesn't work
> right. Change the option back to what it was.
>

> > Also, why cant a windows client(outlook express) send mail to this
> list? does anyone else have this problem?
>
> This is from a W2K Server using OE. I don't use OE because of the
> number of MS replicated virus and worms that circulate on here.
>
> Kent
ok, I was mailing from a win95 system. My personal machine is still a 300 Mhz AMD K6-2
 :)
replicants or not, I sent mail to stable@freebsd.org and
freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, and neither one of them seemed to be transfered to the other subscribers.

> > Thx.
> >

> > Vince
> >
> > (I have no witty additive!)

> > .
> >

> --
> Kent Stewart
> Richland, WA
>
> http://users.owt.com/kstewart/index.html

ok
I have done the kernel conf changes, and rebuilt.
things seem to be ok.

I did this before I sent the original email. Everything seemed to work ok after I deleted my HZ change.

I was actually looking for confirmation that "YES   your  change to the kernel HZ did cause your clock to race, and also caused (which I didnt mention) your NTPD not to work :)
.