Date:      Tue, 04 Jun 2002 08:34:54 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        Fabio Miranda <fmirand@yahoo.com>, freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnome on freebsd-4,6rc

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
> Date: 03 Jun 2002 21:17:33 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> --=-Z120ey8w2xwGynFM505z
>
> On Mon, 2002-06-03 at 21:11, Fabio Miranda wrote:
> > hi, i have a fresh instalation of freebsd-4.6 and
> > gnome, i would
> > like to know:
> > 1. What should i add to .xinirc to make gnome the
> > default window manager?
>
> exec /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session

While this is the answer I almost always see, I really think that in
many cases a better answer would be:

exec /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session

If you don't use ssh (this should be an empty set, of course), it has
no significant impact. If you do, it makes the use of ssh-add much
easier and global to all processes started in the session.

I know this is not unusual, but I have never actually seen a
recommendation to do it routinely. Is there any reason not to?

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)