Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:38:26 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who is this Charlie guy in /etc/passwd?

Ryan Thompson said on Jun 13, 2002 at 08:20:34:
> Ha! My humor detector is still forwarding packets.
>
> Maybe *yours* is the one having trouble sensing the media type? :-)
>
> Repeat after me:
>
> :-) means "smile".

If it was indeed funny (Brett's mail was, imo), a smiley would be
unnecessary.

   ``I cringe when I see them,'' says the movie critic Roger Ebert, a
   hatitue of CompuServe, interviewed via e-mail. On the other hand, he
   adds, ``smileys might be a real help for today's students, raised on
   TV and unskilled at spotting irony without a laugh track.''

   ``...the hateful :) which means 'just kidding' and is used by people
   who would dot their i's with little circles and should have their eyes
   dotted with Drano.'' -- Penn Jillette

   ``The smiley is an attack on writers and readers alike. If it is
   funny, it doesn't need a smiley. If is not funny, a smiley won't help
   it. The smiley teaches writers that anything they write will pass as
   humor as long as it is punctuated properly. It teaches readers that
   they must ignore their better judgment, and look only at punctuation
   to determine intent.'' -- Jim Showalter

(quotes I came across long ago, can't vouch for authenticity but I
liked them)