Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 02:42:51 +0900 (JST)
From:      Tadaaki Nagao <tada@rr.iij4u.or.jp>
To:        aa8vb@nc.rr.com
Cc:        tada@rr.iij4u.or.jp, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, ales@megared.net.mx
Subject:   Re: Fxtv 1.04beta -- PLEASE TEST compile error

Hello,

In message <20020615.082823.28977805.abtk@shitamachi.org>,
    Tadaaki Nagao <tada@rr.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:
> Sorry for jumping in, but I've been experiencing similar symptoms when
> trying "FFMPEG" and "FFMPEG Ready".

It seems I was somehow confused when writing above, in particular,
saying "FFMPEG Ready" gave a kernel crash.  The real thing that
occurred for "FFMPEG Ready" wasn't a crash, but, when running the shell
script for conversion, fxtv that was invoked from the script
immeadiately exited without doing anything, which kept ffmpeg waiting
for the input, apparently forever.  "FFMPEG" actually caused a crash,
though.

In message <20020615230429.GA3143@nc.rr.com>,
    Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Say that's a thought, do you have the buffer port installed?  I have
> buffer-1.17.1 installed here.
(snip)
> Tadaaki and Alejandro, please let me know what you find regarding the
> buffer utility.

That is it!  I've just installed /usr/ports/misc/buffer, and
everything works fine now!

To sum up,
			w/o buffer		w/buffer
	MPEG Ready	    OK			   OK
	MPEG		    OK			   OK
	FFMPEG Ready	script doesn't work	   OK
	FFMPEG		kernel crash		   OK

If installing the buffer port also works for Alejandro, it would be a
good idea to add a port dependency on buffer to the fxtv port.

Anyway, being able to crash a kernel from userland, is kind of a kernel
bug. :-)  If you are interested, I can produce a crash dump and its
stack trace.

Thanks,
Tadaaki Nagao <tada@rr.iij4u.or.jp>