Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Colakovic <nickc@CORP.FirstIndustrial.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: kern/39447: 4.5R &4.6R Kernels fail to boot w/ AHA2940U2W att ached to an IFT-3102 controller

The following reply was made to PR kern/39447; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nick Colakovic <nickc@CORP.FirstIndustrial.com>
To: "'chris@aims.com.au'" <chris@aims.com.au>,
	"'freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>
Subject: RE: kern/39447: 4.5R &4.6R Kernels fail to boot w/ AHA2940U2W att
	ached to an IFT-3102 controller
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:22:08 -0500

 > Can't say I had the geometry change occur when I upgraded
 > about 6 L440GX
 > mainboards with the 2.57 SCSI BIOS. Different OSes were on them too -
 > FreeBSD (custom 2.2.8 kernel, 4.x) , NT4 and UnixWare (7.0.1).
 > Mind you, I had the advantage of a spare server box to swap in if the
 > firmware upgrades got ugly.
 >
 > > > I had boot issues with ASUS P2B-S attached to an IFT-3102 - I
 > > > had to enable interrupts for USB to boot successfully.
 > Might be worth
 > > > checking.
 > >
 > > Will try this as I believe both FreeBSD systems have their USB ports
 > > disabled.  Of course this brings up the question of why
 > > changes to the ahc driver are dependant on USB bios settings ;).
 > >
 > I don't think it's the ahc driver - it has do to with boot-time device
 > probing. I think Mike Smith or Warner Losh mentioned something about
 > interrupt masking being the issue.

 I did another test based on the above recommendations.   I used a 3rd server
 attached to this IFT-3102 that is not quite a critical as the other two.
 This is system is another Intel CA810E system that runs NT 4.0.  Upgraded
 the Intel CA810E bios to latest version, upgraded the AHA2940U2W to bios
 2.57.2.  Enabled the USB ports in the bios, left the IDE primary controller
 disabled, secondary IDE enabled (for CD-ROM) and attempted to boot via the
 4.6R boot floppies.  Same result, the system does not get past the "Waiting
 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle" phase of the kernel boot.
 	I would be very be inclined to point a finger at the ahc driver
 since I have had problems w/ this driver and the IFT-3102 before.  It
 consistently has had a minor problem with sending a cache sync command to
 the 3102 at shutdown.  I have had to fix this by manually patching the quirk
 table in scsi_da.c from the initial install of 4.1R until at least 4.4R.  In
 addition there was a problem at some point in 4.3-STABLE that caused
 stability problems w/ the IFT-3102.  The fact that I am having this problem
 on multiple systems where the only commonality is the use of a Adaptec U2W
 controller would point me to this problem.  This is not to say that I have
 been unhappy w/ FreeBSD just that the IFT tends to bring out strange
 problems in the ahc driver.

 Nick R. Colakovic
 Director of I.T.
 First Industrial Realty Trust, Inc.