Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 16:38:38 -0400
From:      Jerry A! <jerry@thehutt.org>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install probs with sony vaio R505-JSK

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 10:08:14PM +0200, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
: [ yes, I'm citing my own post here -- because I felt a little
:   misunderstood the last time :) ]
:
: On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 19:47 +0200, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
: >
: > On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 09:56 -0700, Bill Swingle wrote:
: > >
: > > That was the fix I was looking for. Thanks! Now to figure out why I can
: > > boot from the cdrom but after booting, FreeBSD doesnt see it...
: >
: > It might be unrelated, but just out of curiousity:  the gentoo FAQ
: > (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/faq.html) has an entry "I have a Sony
: > Super-Slim VAIO laptop, and the Gentoo Linux CD is having problems
: > finding my PCMCIA ATAPI CD-ROM." in the "2. Installation" section.
: > Who knows how to translate the LILO / Linux kernel centric answer
: > to FreeBSD speak?  This could be of help for some -mobile readers.
:
: Since then there has been silence regarding this "who knows how
: to translate it into FreeBSD speak" part.  No, I didn't want to
: start a (another?) Gentoo thread.  I thought there had been quite
: a few Vaio users with a similar problem and there could have been
: a known solution already.  But since neither do I own a Vaio nor
: do I have access to one the above question was this unspecific
: and maybe disoriented.  But I asked in the hope that it will turn
: into something helpful ...
:
: Or has this already been resolved and the "I can boot from CD but
: cannot access it from the running FreeBSD system" is not a problem
: at all (any longer)?

Man, my VAIO gets around (I provided the original answer for the Gentoo
FAQ -- Go Me!!!  8)

The "ide2=0x180,0x386" attaches the cdrom as ATA device to the bus at
specified address.  This has the benefit of not needing any PCMCIA
drivers loaded to make the cdrom recognizable.

I don't know of a way to do this under FreeBSD.  It may be possible with
the advent of some of the newer atacontrol(8) stuff.  I'm cc'ing Soren
in case he can add anything to this discussion.

Thus, we need to rely on the pcmcia drivers to do their stuff.

So, now the question is "how can I install off that $!(&*$ cdrom?"

Try the following:

    At the "OK>" prompt:
        set hw.pcic.intr_path=1
        set hw.pcic.irq=0

    When asked if you want to install from pcmcia, answer yes.

    Choose either "0xd4000" or "0xd8000" as the pccard memory address.
    Don't bother using "0xd0000", I've never seen that address work
    correctly on a VAIO.

    Choose 10 & 11 as available IRQs.  Mess around with adding more
    *after* you get your system up and running.

That should do it.  Feel free to drop me a line if you have any other
questions or problems.

        --Jerry

Open-Source software isn't a matter of life or death...
...It's much more important than that!