Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 07:48:34 -0500
From:      Peter Cox <pcox@penguin.avernus.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bad register errors on compile

Hi folks -
I'm building the world from last night's -STABLE tree, and am encountering
some odd errors, two examples of which I've included below.

Some time ago, I upgraded my FreeBSD machine from a Celeron to a PIII (and
motherboard) from another box. Since then, the machine has been fairly
unstable. It will often spontaneously reboot or hang when placed under
heavy load - this tends to happen when both CPU and I/O are fairly heavy,
and doesn't always happen.

Anyway, when remaking the world last night, I noticed the included errors.
These would cause the make to fail, but if I started the make back up
immediately after the failure, more often than not the offending piece of
code would compile just fine, and the make would continue until the next
error was encountered.

cc -O -pipe -march=pentiumpro  -D_KERNEL -Wall -Wredundant-decls
-Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
-Winline -Wcast-qual  -fformat-extensions -ansi -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I-
-I. -I@ -I@/../include  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -Wall
-Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
-fformat-extensions -ansi -c
/usr/src/sys/modules/cd9660/../../isofs/cd9660/cd9660_vfsops.c
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:592: Error: bad register name `%ebx'
*** Error code 1

cc -O -pipe -march=pentiumpro  -D_KERNEL -Wall
-Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
-fformat-extensions -ansi -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I-  -I. -I@
-I@/../include  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -Wall -Wredundant-decls
-Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -fformat-extensions -ansi -c
/usr/src/sys/modules/bridge/../../net/bridge.c
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:1336: Error: bad register name `%eax'
*** Error code 1

These errors are from building the kernel, obviously, but I got the same
problems while building the world also.

So we have registers that the assembler can't handle one minute, but can
the next. What I'm looking for is pointers as to what could be wrong, and
has anyone seen this problem before? My first reaction would be to say the
CPU is going bad, but could this occur because of bad memory/faulty
motherboard also?

Any suggestions as to where to go from here?

Cheers,
Peter
--
	Peter Cox	pcox@penguin.avernus.net
 Economists can certainly disappoint you.  One said that the economy