Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:20:09 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        baszd <baszd-meg@excite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to get back FreeBSD-dumped data with linux-restore.

On 2002-07-01 09:41 +0000, baszd wrote:
> > I have a FreeBSD (rel. 4.5) fileserver and a Debian (patato,
> > kernel
> > After all I'm not sure whether the problem is Linux-restore or
> > FreeBSD-dump.  Maybe somebody has a clue?
>
> Somebody had. Sorry, but I lost that mail. Thanx anyway for
> answering.  He said, that this problem is filesystem-specific and I
> have to use tar or pax instead of dump.  It was a matter of
> blocksizes and I had to rewind the tape before the  dump and before
> the restore.  If somebody is interessted in this topic, the whole
> thread can be found here :
> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/1111/2002/6/0/ and current postings:
> http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/1111/0/

AFAIK, what you were doing is not always a good idea.  You were trying
to use the Linux restore program to restore data from a tape that was
written with something like:

	freebsd% dump /foo | ssh -l user linux.machine 'mt -bar'
	linux% restore /tape

You should not attempt to restore on Linux data that has been created
with FreeBSD's dump program.  It's not guaranteed to work.  The format
of the dump files created by FreeBSD is not necessarily something that
the Linux version of restore should understand.

- Giorgos