Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 05:36:37 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Andrew <perl@ukrpost.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL, BSD, Artistic license

Thus spake Andrew <perl@ukrpost.net>:
[snip topic that's bound to start another flamewar]

>   <OT>
>   By   the   way,  I heard on Zdnet that micro$oft uses some code from
>   FreeBSD  in  their   w2k.  How did they do that? I've never seen BSD
>   copyright notice in w2k. I thought BSDL applies to modified software
>   even if it's distributed in binary forms.
>   </OT>

Microsoft has been lifting BSDL'd code for years, although they
don't always `remember' to say so in their release notes.  They
usually mangle the attribution somehow, by using their own wording
for the license, or putting the license in one place and the
copyright in another (see link below).  At least they're not as
bad as Red Hat with other people's intellectual property.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306819#10