Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 2002 19:33:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lib/csu cleanup #2 - review please (commit candidate)

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Mark Murray wrote:

> [Mark Murray didn't write]
> > But you didn't answer these questions:
> >     > +#ifndef lint
> >     > +
> >     >  #ifndef __GNUC__
> >     >  #error "GCC is needed to compile this file"
> >     >  #endif
> >
> >     Please change Lint to note the #error but to continue processing.  I've
> >     pondered it and cannot find a good reason for Lint to "obey" #error.
>
> That would violate lint(1) POLA. I guess an option could be added at some
> stage to do this.

Continuing processing would be good in some cases but not here.  The whole
point of this #error is to prevent an error cascade from continuing processing.
Perhaps the scope of this #error is too large.  Only about 5 lines of asms in
this file need gcc.

> > New questions:
> >
> > > -_start(char **ap,
> > > -	void (*cleanup)(void),			/* from shared loader */
> > > -	struct Struct_Obj_Entry *obj __unused,	/* from shared loader */
> > > -	struct ps_strings *ps_strings __unused)
> > > +_start(char **ap, void (*cleanup)(void), ...)
> >
> > Why take a more exact prototype and definition to a lesser one?
>
> Because I could see no reason to clutter the file with unused
> structure declarations, just so that unused arguments could be
> instantiated. Call it a code cleanup. The code has been verified
> to work in a make world.

Hrmph.  My review said that the i386 code should probably be changed
to be more like the alpha code here, not the reverse.  There are no
varargs functions here.  Declaring and implementing a non-varargs
function as varargs gives machine-dependent breakage, e.g., passing
the args in the wrong place on only some machines.

Bruce