Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:20:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/39205: Patch to add nmh package files so EXMH reply-all works

The following reply was made to PR ports/39205; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To: Scott Blachowicz <scott@mail.dsab.rresearch.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 01:10:17 +0200

 < discovered in my drafts folder, Sorry!>

 Scott Blachowicz wrote:
 > The current nmh port patches the etc/Makefile.in file (based on a patch
 > that someone else provided, I forget who...sorry) so that it installs all
 > those config files to *.default files, then the port Makefile goes through
 > and copies from *.default to * if the config file isn't already there:
 >
 >     post-install:
 > 	    @PKG_PREFIX='${PREFIX}' ${SH} ${PKGINSTALL} ${PKGNAME} POST-INSTALL
 > 	    chgrp mail ${PREFIX}/bin/inc
 > 	    ${CHMOD} g+s ${PREFIX}/bin/inc
 > 	    for file in ${PREFIX}/etc/nmh/*.default ; do \
 > 		    if [ \! -f $${file%%.default} ] ; then \
 > 			    cp $$file $${file%%.default} ; \
 > 			    chmod u+w $${file%%.default} ; \
 > 		    fi \
 > 	    done
 >
 > Hmmm...unfortunately, that logic doesn't get executed when you install the
 > package (right?).

 Yes, I confirm on 4.5 pkg_add does not add them.

 > So, I should move it into the 'pkg-install POST-INSTALL'
 > processing?

 Yes, putting some if ! exist ... install in pkg-install seems good.

 > Same (I imagine) for the setgid stuff on the 'inc' program? Or
 > is that even supposed to be setgid 'mail' any more? (I don't know what the
 > standard is for FreeBSD).

 Don't know.

 > I don't think we want to put those config files into the pkg-plist

 Agreed, I rescind my patch (not nearly as good as what you propose).

 > because
 > that means that deleting the package would remove the config files
 > (right?)

 Yes.

 > which makes going from one version to a newer one a pain. What IS
 > the standard way for handling site-customizable config files anyways?

 I suppose, pretty much what you've got already, an echo statement saying
 aprox "You may want to edit these later"

 > Thanx,

 Scott, do you have commit authority (I don't) if so could you please
 cancel (or clear whatever) my gnats report ports/39205, once you've
 committed your pkg-install enhancement ? Thanks.

> [...]
 > > 	"Reply to sender"
 > > ) fails with this error message:
 > > 	repl: repl: unable to open format file replgroupcomps:
 > > 	No such file or directory,
 > > The patch is made against current almost-4.6 sources.
 > >
 > > >How-To-Repeat:
 > > 	pkg_delete nmh and exmh
 > > 	rm -rf /usr/local/etc/nmh # to clear any extras a direct
 > > 				  # make install may have delivered
 > > 	pkg_add the 2, start EXMH, click on reply-all
 > > >Fix:
 > >
 > > EXMH no longer fails after a
 > > 	cd /usr/ports/mail/nmh;make install
 > > which adds the necessary
 > > 	 etc/nmh/replgroupcomps,
 > > so I identified all the extra files the install adds for my patch,
 > > However I someone, presumably
 > > 	MAINTAINER=     Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org
 > > please check if it's appropriate to add all of these files,
 > > or whether some need to be omitted, or added via some interactive.
 > > checker (though
 > > 	make install
 > > is not interactive on an empty directory, it adds them, else my EXMH
 > > wouldn't now be working.
 > >
 > > This patch will be archived in
 > > 	http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/ports/gen/mail/nmh/pkg-pl
 > ist.diff
 > > All my fixes are indexed from
 > > 	http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/src/fixes.html
 > >

 > > *** FreeBSD-almost-4.6.ports-cur.4271.2002.06.12/ports/mail/nmh/pkg-plist
 > 	Fri Jul 27 02:23:08 2001
 > > --- new/ports/mail/nmh/pkg-plist	Wed Jun 12 22:45:39 2002
 > > ***************
 > > *** 64,69 ****
 > > --- 64,95 ----
 > >   etc/nmh/scan.timely.default
 > >   etc/nmh/scan.unseen.default
 > >   etc/nmh/tmac.h
 > > + etc/nmh/MailAliases
 > > + etc/nmh/components
 > > + etc/nmh/digestcomps
 > > + etc/nmh/distcomps
 > > + etc/nmh/forwcomps
 > > + etc/nmh/mhl.body
 > > + etc/nmh/mhl.digest
 > > + etc/nmh/mhl.format
 > > + etc/nmh/mhl.forward
 > > + etc/nmh/mhl.headers
 > > + etc/nmh/mhl.reply
 > > + etc/nmh/mhn.defaults
 > > + etc/nmh/mts.conf
 > > + etc/nmh/rcvdistcomps
 > > + etc/nmh/rcvdistcomps.outbox
 > > + etc/nmh/replcomps
 > > + etc/nmh/replgroupcomps
 > > + etc/nmh/scan.MMDDYY
 > > + etc/nmh/scan.YYYYMMDD
 > > + etc/nmh/scan.default
 > > + etc/nmh/scan.mailx
 > > + etc/nmh/scan.nomime
 > > + etc/nmh/scan.size
 > > + etc/nmh/scan.time
 > > + etc/nmh/scan.timely
 > > + etc/nmh/scan.unseen
 > >   libexec/nmh/ap
 > >   libexec/nmh/conflict
 > >   libexec/nmh/dp
 > > >Release-Note:
 > > >Audit-Trail:
 > > >Unformatted:

 > > with "unsubscribe freebsd-ports" in the body of the message

 Julian Stacey		Munich Unix (FreeBSD, Linux etc) Independent Consultant
 jhs@bim.bsn.com		http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
 	Ihr Rauchen = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Schnupftabak probieren !