Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:30:00 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Sean Hamilton <sh@planetquake.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux binary compatibility requires SYSVSEM

Thus spake Sean Hamilton <sh@planetquake.com>:
> "kldload linux" dies unless
>
> options    SYSVSEM
>
> is in the kernel. Is there some way around this? (I have no other use for
> it, and try to be minimalist...)

The sysvsem support has a very small footprint, so I wouldn't
worry about it unless you have good reason to.

> Also, are there other approaches to Linux binary compatibility? Is there
> some type of wrapper, which will load and execute the code, without all the
> compatibility/library mishmash? I'm trying to run a quake3 server, which I
> don't believe does anything not in the standard C library.

Technically, you don't need any compatability libraries to run a
statically-linked Linux binary.  The core of the Linux
compatability support is a small kernel interface that turns Linux
system calls into FreeBSD system calls.  But most applications are
dynamically linked against glibc or some other god-aweful thing, so
you would need the libraries even in Linux.