Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:01:45 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Standardized make options (or no doesn't always mean no)

--KlAEzMkarCnErv5Q

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 12:42:59PM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Doug Barton wrote:
>=20
> > Mike Barcroft wrote:
> > >
> > > Is anyone planning to do something about the hugely confusing state of
> > > NO/NO_ options?  I can never remember which options have an underscore
> > > after the NO, so I end up writing commands like
> > > `make kernel ... NO_KERNELCLEAN=3Dtrue NOKERNELCLEAN=3Dtrue'.  It wou=
ld
> > > very nice if we could standardize this and add some compatibility
> > > shims for historical spellings.
> >
> > In the past versions of this conversation, the general agreement is that
> > going forward we should probably standardize on underscores to seperate
> > words. So, NO_FOO rather than NOFOO. However, no_volunteer has come
> > forward to do the work you've described, so if you're volunteering....
> > :)
>=20
> On my list of things to fix after the changing the spelling of "nothing"
> to "no thing". :-) :-)
>=20
I'd volunteer to do it if we could come up to a (violent) agreement.

We'd provide the compatibility knobs that would also trigger a warning
(a .warning to be added to make(1)) that NO_FOO should now be used
instead of NOFOO (or vice versa, if we decide to go that way).

I would personally prefer the NO_FOOs since these would make things
more readable and disambiguate the things like NORMAL, NOTES, NODES.
What's NODES?  node(s) or "no DES"?  :-)

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,