Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 20:34:52 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Jeff Jirsa <jeff@boris.st.hmc.edu>, Ed Yu <edlyu@yahoo.com>
Cc:        MET <met@uberstats.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a Desktop

On Thursday 25 July 2002 06:41 pm, Jeff Jirsa wrote:
| On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Ed Yu wrote:
| > 4. Things like right click to change resolution and
| > wizards to help setup things, and various other small
| > things. But once you get the hang of it, you will
| > stick with FreeBSD, trust me.
|
| This type of thing is what still bothers me, after years of using various
| systems... X, by its very nature, is not made to be reconfigured once it's
| running. If someone would take the time to make it
| 1) easy to configure (linux installers have basically done this)
| 2) easy to reconfigure while running (if it exists, I haven't seen it)
| X would instantly become more usable.

On the other hand, for laptop use you never want to do this.  Sometimes under
Windows you do to deal with broken applications, but it's always a terrible
idea to use any resolution other than the native hardware resolution on an
LCD display--the resampling always looks vastly inferior to the native
resolution.

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org