Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 2002 20:28:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gerrit_K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
Cc:        dima@FreeBSD.ORG, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: mupad-2.0.0

(CC to Dima Dorfman added)

Gerrit Kühn wrote:

> I've been using acroread5 so far, but it won't work with linux_base7:
[...]
> It works fine with linux_base6, though. I tried to go back to
> acroread4, but I'm not able to install it:
>
> ===>  Building for acroread-4.05
> Do a `make install' as root.
> bash-2.05a# make install
> ===>  Installing for acroread-4.05
> ===>   acroread-4.05 depends on file: /compat/linux/etc/redhat-release
> - found
>
>  This installation requires 16MB of free disk space.
>
>   Installing platform independent files ... Done
>
>    Installing platform dependent files ... Done
>
>     ===>   Generating temporary packing list
>     /compat/linux/usr/bin/strip:No such file or directory
>     *** Error code 1 (ignored)
>     [ -e /usr/local/bin/acroread ]  || (cd /usr/local/bin ; /bin/ln -s
> acroread4 acroread)
> ln: acroread: File exists
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/print/acroread4.
>

> My platform is FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE-p1. Do you have any hints for me how
> to solve this?

The bug is explained in PR 41042.  If you remove the
/usr/local/bin/acroread link after de-installing one of the acroread
ports, you should be able to install the other.  Probably the best thing
would be to make ${PREFIX}/bin/acroread into a little script, in a
separate port that both acroread ports depend upon, that tries to run
whichever Acrobat Reader is installed.  If the ports collection supported
conflicts (see stale portmgr PRs), there would be no need for such a
kludge.
--
Trevor Johnson