Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:36:51 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eric Melville <eric@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Samuel Tardieu <sam@inf.enst.fr>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pkg-comment

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 12:23:19PM -0700, Eric Melville wrote:
> > Since pkg-comment contains only a single line, wouldn't it be more subtile
> > to put it in a COMMENT field as does NetBSD, instead of using a file? I think
> > it would speed up updates.
>
> http://people.FreeBSD.org/~eric/ports-comment.diff
>
> Will Andrews said that portmgr would be going over this sometime soon,
> hopefully they will commit it.

That will certainly be a big help.  When we got rid of the pkg/ and
patches/ directories I begged Satoshi to go farther and put patches in
main port directory and get rid of pkg/COMMENT.  That was back when we
hit 3000 ports -- I guess people didn't want to accept we would hit 8000
in only a few years.

Of course why we don't just put "COMMENT=blah" in the ports's Makefile