Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:14:37 -0400
From:      Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Aur?lien Nephtali <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: root (/) not soft-updates by default ?

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 04:49:28PM +0200, Aur?lien Nephtali wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> What is the reason that the mount point (by default, /) hasn't the flag
> for soft-updates by default (during the installation), can I set it
> without data lost ?
>=20

This is a more conservative approach (similiar to not using async
mounts by default unlike other OS's) due to the importance of the
data on the root partition.  And, since there are normally very
few writes to the root partition, unlike /var and others, soft-
updates would not provide much of a performance boost anyways.

--=20
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power To Serve   -   http://www.FreeBSD.org

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR