Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:29:35 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@sinbad.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Hanspeter Roth <hanspeter_roth@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: version dependency blues with ports

On Monday 26 August 2002 13:21, Hanspeter Roth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> frequently when I want to install a port it depends on other ports
> which are installed in an older version than the new port thinks it
> requires.
> I'm not sure whether really all ports that the new one depends on
> must be upgraded.
> Some ports have 10 or more dependencies. And it takes time to first
> upgrade almost all of them.
>
> Is there an means to force installing a port without also installing
> the very latest version of port it depends on but which are
> installed in an older version?
>
> -Hanspeter

Yes, try portupgrade (in the ports) it does a very good job of keeping track
of dependencies. Only upgrading when it's required. You also have the option
of upgrading everything should you choose.

Beech
      Beech Rintoul - SysAdmin - akbeech@sinbad.net
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Sinbad Network Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 3101 Penland Parkway #K-38
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99508-1957