Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:57:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tony <tony@idk.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, ahl@austclear.com.au
Subject:   Re: Backups on IDE disks

SCSI drives are designed to be hot (with power on) swapped. They are used
used a most of the servers and such, replace a drive if one begins to fail.

There is no reason for them to powered up all the time, just power or insert
the one you want to use and on latestest versions of FreeBSD there is a
command to rescan the SCSI bus for changed. I have been doing the poswer
off/on sequence one both a tape drive and drive for years.

You might get a kernel error or so when you first try to use it, but it does
work.

If one were to remove the drive that had the termination for the SCSI bus on
it, that can generate problems. Having one or more devices (depending on the
number you have) on or off, things are designed to work.

An big advantage for SCSI.

Most errors have either to do with inferior cable or termination.