Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:48:27 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Administrator <administrator@administrat0r.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An old sparc 50mhz 64bit workstation - can it run *bsd?

On Wednesday, 25 September 2002 at 22:03:20 -0400, Administrator wrote:
> I do believe there is a port of NetBSD for sparc cpu's, but does anyone
> know if it will run on open or freebsd?

NetBSD doesn't run on OpenBSD or FreeBSD.  OpenBSD does run on SPARC.

> With preference for freebsd obviously, though I believe it's the one
> least likely to take to the sparc processor.

Correct.

> I can get a hold of 4-5 of them hopefully from my university, and
> I'd love to mess around with them.

You don't say which model it is.  That's crucial to the answer.  But I
didn't know there were any 64 bit machines that slow; I'd think that a
machine of that clock speed would be something like a SPARCstation 2,
which is a 32 bit machine and won't run FreeBSD.

> O/T: Would any of you know what would be hiding inside a Sun
> sparc-server 670 MP?  (obviously my university is upgrading their
> solaris computer lab ;-) )

No, but google is your friend.

Greg